1 ready-to-bake 9 inch pie shell that has less than 90 calories per serving
⅓ cup cornstarch
⅛ teaspoon salt
1 cup Splenda®, divided
1½ cups water
4 eggs, separated
½ tablespoon margarine
½ cup lemon juice
¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- Bake pie shell as directed. Cool.
- In medium saucepan, stir together cornstarch, salt, and ¾ cup Splenda. Add water, stirring until Splenda and cornstarch are dissolved. Cook on medium heat until mixture thickens and comes to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Beat egg yolks in small bowl. Add about a cup of the cornstarch mixture and stir. Transfer this mixture to cornstarch mixture in saucepan, stirring rapidly. Cook on medium heat until very thick, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and whisk in margarine and lemon juice. Pour into pie shell.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- In medium bowl, beat egg whites on high speed until foamy. Add cream of tartar and beat until soft peaks form. Add remaining ¼ cup Splenda and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Spread meringue over pie filling, sealing with crust edge. Bake 10 minutes or until meringue is golden.
- Remove from oven and cool 1 hour. Refrigerate for 3 hours before serving.
Note: Pie crusts vary from 80 to 150 calories per serving. Read the label to choose one lower in calories. The above calculations were based on a pie crust with 90 calories per ⅛ of a pie.
1 hour 15 minutes
Chill time: 3 hours