Hygiene, Skin and Nail Care
is good grooming? It is knowing what to do and putting it into practice
on a daily basis. Good grooming starts before you put on your clothing.
- means taking care of your hair, skin, face, hands and your total
- can lift your morale and help increase your self-esteem.
- means that you are taking care of yourself, and that is important!
Hygiene and Skin Care
Hygiene is an ongoing task.
- Bathe or shower daily. Rinse or wash your face at least two
times a day.
- Brush and floss daily. Use mouthwash or rinse with diluted baking
soda if mouthwash is not available.
- Drink plenty of water to keep your insides clean. This will
also help to keep your skin fresh on the outside.
- Remove underarm and leg hair regularly. Also, remove any facial
hairs as they appear. A depilatory or a bleaching cream may be
needed if you have heavy facial growth.
- Wear very little or no perfume.
A word about tattoos. They have become very popular and
are worn by both older and young women. It is recommended that the
tattoo should be covered with clothing, if possible, for the job
Hands and Nails
Your hands talk for you! They should be clean and smooth. Keep
a small bottle of lotion to keep your hands moisturized.
Give Yourself a Manicure
How to give yourself a manicure:
You can have your nails professionally done or you can do them yourself.
shape nails with an emery board.
- Soak hands and nails for about two minutes in warm soapy water.
- Gently push back and remove cuticles with an orange stick or
- Wash hands and lightly scrub to remove remaining cuticle.
- Rub a light oil or cream into fingers, nails and cuticles to
- If you wish, finish with a clear or neutral color nail polish.
Interview Tip: Have a Good Hand Shake
Practice giving a good handshake. This is especially important for
a woman. A good handshake is firm but not tight, grasping the persons
whole hand. Smile and look at the person while you shake hands. You
may have to make the first gesture toward a handshake, because some
individuals feel uncertain about shaking a womans hand. Nails
should be nicely manicured. Nails should be slightly rounded or squared
and medium to short in length. Nail polish can be worn, but the polish
should be clear or closely matching your skin tone.
- Do not wear highly decorated and long nails on a job interview.
If you have nails professionally manicured, request a natural
look that has a clean and conservative length (about 1/2 inch)
and natural color.
- Avoid wearing red nail polish, it can be sexually intimidating.
- A natural color nail polish is preferable.