Flan: Spanish-Style Custard
- 2 cups skim milk
- 2 cups fat free half and half
- 8 eggs
- 4 egg yolks
- ¼ cup white sugar
- ½ cup Splenda
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Whisk all ingredients together in a medium saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat while stirring until custard is thickened for about 25 minutes. Be sure to constantly stir and keep the custard on low heat so the eggs do not curdle.
- Ladle the custard into a 8-inch nonstick cake pan.
- Place the pan into a roasting pan filled with ½ inch of water. Place in oven.
- Bake until custard is firm and a bit browned (about 30 minutes).
- Chill the flan (may take several hours).
- Serve flan flipped onto plate.
From Flavors of Fiesta by University of Illinois Extension
<- fold here