White Rice with Vegetables
- ½ tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 2 cups hot water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup fresh or frozen corn, peas, carrots, or peppers (optional)
- In medium pan, heat oil and sauté onion, garlic, and rice. Add hot water and salt. Bring to a full boil. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes without stirring. If desired, add vegetables, cover, and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Uncover, give rice a full turn and cover again. Turn heat off.
- Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
From Flavors of Fiesta by University of Illinois Extension
<- fold here