Horchata (low sugar recipe)
- 1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- tap water
- 1 cup water
- 4 cup skim milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 packets artificial sweetener (or less)
- Soak the rice in tap water overnight.
- Drain the soaked rice through a strainer.
- In a blender add rice, ½ cup water, 2 cups milk, vanilla, sugar, artificial sweetener, and cinnamon. Blend on high speed until rice is all ground up (approximately 1.5 minuntes).
- Add the remaining ½ cup water and 2 cups milk. Blend on high for approximately 1 minute.
- Strain the mixture through the cheesecloth until no more liquid seeps out. Do not squeeze the cheesecloth. Discard cheesecloth and remains.
- Chill and serve.
From Flavors of Fiesta by University of Illinois Extension
<- fold here