Evergreen foliage; red fruit on female plants (foliage and the seed within the fruit are both toxic).
Numerous cultivars available including:
- 'Brownii'- 9-12 feet tall, rounded form, male, so produces no fruit.
- 'Dark Green Spreader'- 4-5 feet tall, 6-7 feet wide, dark green foliage.
- 'Densiformis'- 3-4 feet tall, perhaps twice as wide.
- 'Hicksii'- Columnar form, up to 20 feet tall.
- 'Tauntonii'- 3-4 feet tall, spreading form, very cold hardy, resistant to winter burn.
2-20 Feet (Variable; the species can grow up to 20 feet tall; several cultivars produce a more manageable shrub-sized plant)
6-20 Feet (Variable; the species can grow quite large; several cultivars produce a more manageable, shrub-sized plant.)
Additional pests and problems that may affect this plant:
Black vine weevil,mites and root rot are potential problems. Poorly drained soils can be very damaging to yews, especially newly planted ones.