Short spikes of flowers in spring. Some cultivars have colored foliage.
Full sun to partial shade. Well drained soil isa must for this plant, especially in late winter and early spring.
Numerous cultivars available including:
- 'Arctic Fox'-green leaves with white edges, dark blue-purple flowers.
- 'Atropurpurea'-bronze foliage with dark blue-purple flowers.
- 'Burgundy Glow'-foliage is a mix of burgundy, pink, white and green; flowers are blue.
- 'Pink Elf'-bronze leaves and pink flowers.
- 'Purple Torch'-tall (up to 12") spikes of lavender flowers.
Additional pests and problems that may affect this plant:
Crown rot is a problem in sites with poor drainage.
Bugleweed can spread fairly rapidly since the stems can root when they touch the soil.