Used primarily for it's evergreen foliage. On some cultivars, the foliage is variegated.
Full sun to shade. Tolerates a wide range of soil conditions, except wet soils.
Numerous cultivars are available and theyvary in theirheight. Some are useful as ground covers, while others are small shrubs. Some common cultivars that are useful as ground covers include:
- 'Coloratus'- 1 foot tall; green leaves that turn red-purple in winter; hardy to zone 5.
- 'Emerald 'n Gold'- green leaves edged in gold; 1-3 feet tall; limited spread (about 4-5 feet); hardy to zone 5
- 'Kewensis'-1-2 feet tall, dark green leaves, spread well; hardy to zone 5
- 'Variegatus'- 8-12 inches tall; green leaves marked with white edges; spreads well; hardy to zone 5
- 'Vegetus'-green leaves, hardy to zone 5.
Additional pests and problems that may affect this plant:
Euonymus scale and crown gall are often common and serious problems.
Growth rate is moderate to fast.