Evergreen foliage. On some cultivars, foliage wll turn purple in winter.
Full sun. Tolerant of dry soils and poor soils.
Several cultivars available including:
- 'Bar Harbor'- steel blue foliage in summer, turns purplish in winter; 10 inches tall.
- 'Blue Chip'- blue foliage; 10-12 inches tall.
- 'Douglasii'- blue green foliage turns silvery purple in winter; less prone to Phomopsis twig blight.
- 'Emerald Spreader'- green foliage; very low-growing (mat-like).
- 'Mother Lode'- bright yellow foliage which turns yellow orange in fall and purplish in winter.
- 'Wiltonii'- Silvery blue foliage, with a hint of purple in winter; very low growing and mat -like.
3 - 8
Additional pests and problems that may affect this plant:
Phomopsis tip blight is a common problem. Spider mites are also a problem occasionally.