University of Illinois Extension offers practical, research-based
programs that help people improve their lives and address critical
community issues involving children, youth, families, and businesses.
Did You Know...
- Currently the University of Illinois Extension serves about 95,000
- There are about 1.6 million Hispanics in Ilinois.
- There are around 500,000 young Hispanics under the age of 18.
- Seven out of nine Hispanics are working. The Hispanic population
is growing seven times faster than non-Hispanic populations.
- By 2030, there will be 65 million Hispanics living in the United
- Nearly 75 percent of Hispanics are native-born and naturalized citizens
of the United States.
Given the tremendous growth in Spanish-speaking audiences in Illinois,
U of I Extension is expanding its resources and commitment to this
The Extension Specialist - Spanish Language Programming can
assist Extension units and educators in:
- Providing information about Extension programs to Spanish-speaking
- Conducting needs assessments on Hispanic concerns at community,
county and state levels.
- Teaching staff and volunteers about Hispanic culture, and Extension
- Planning workshops and making public presentations related
to educational programs for Hispanics.
- Establishing agreements to collaborate or exchange programs,
materials or other resources between Extension and other organizations.
- Producing written or audio-visual educational material.
- Assisting in the recruitment of staff and volunteers with cultural
and language skills to work with Hispanic audiences.
Do We Get Started?
To develop partnerships and programming with organizations working
- First, begin by contacting an organization working with Hispanic
- Second, arrange a meeting for the agency contact, the Extension
Specialist-Spanish Language Programming, the Unit Leader and any
Extension educators that should be included.
- Third, following the meeting the Extension staff will decide
in what ways they can respond and what programming can be delivered.
- Fourth, the Unit Leader will coordinate all programming efforts
and the Extension Specialist-Spanish Language Programming will
be available for consultation and assistance.