Spicy Pumpkin Pound Cake
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 4 eggs, at room temperature, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon Bourbon whiskey or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups lightly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened pumpkin puree, canned or fresh
- Powder sugar for dusting the cake
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Position rack in lower third of
oven. Spray a 10-inch tube pan or 12-cup Bundt cake pan with
vegetable spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder,
salt, ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, and cardamom. Set aside.
- Separate eggs. Place yolks in a small bowl and whites in a
large mixing bowl.
- In another large bowl, beat the butter until smooth. Add the
brown sugar a half-cup at a time beating well after each addition.
Beat in Bourbon whiskey or vanilla and continue beating for about
- Beat the yolks with a fork then add to sugar mixture, one-third
at a time. Using a rubber spatula, scrape down sides of bowl
as you mix.
- Add pumpkin puree and beat until smooth. With a wooden spoon,
stir in 1/3 of the flour mixture. Beat just until dry ingredients
are incorporated. Continue adding remaining flour in two batches.
- Add cream of tartar to egg whites and beat until soft peaks
form. Gently fold whites into pumpkin batter.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan. Gently spread batter evenly
around pan. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes. Allow the cake to cool
in the pan for 10 minutes, then invert onto a cake plate. Allow
to completely cool. Dust with powdered sugar.
Makes 16 servings