Garlicky Cheese Toast (Croutons)
Using the leftover dinner rolls can be a challenge. They are excellent cut into cubes and toasted into croutons for the potato soup or make the Garlicky Cheese Toast, cool slightly and cut into croutons for the soup. The Garlicky Cheese Toast can also be used to make petite turkey sandwiches.
6 to 8 leftover dinner rolls (any kind)
1/2 cup olive oil
1 clove garlic, crushed and chopped finely
2 tablespoons Parmesan Cheese
A pinch of salt and black pepper
- Using a serrated knife cut the dinner rolls in half lengthwise. Set aside.
- Heat a heavy skillet over medium-high heat. While the skillet is heating.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper. Microwave on high for one minute or until garlic begins to sizzle in the oil. This step can also be done in a skillet.
- Brush cut side of each dinner roll with oil and place oil-side-down on the hot skillet.
- Using a spatula or pancake turner, press each piece flat as it cooks. When golden brown, turn and continue pressing. Remove from heat and sprinkle each with a little Parmesan cheese. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Serve warm with soup.Leftover flavored olive oil may be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.